Right to Acquire – Frequently asked questions.
As a Keelman Homes tenant, you could be eligible to buy the home you rent at a discount of £9,000. You can apply to buy your home if you’ve had a public sector landlord for three years.
Am I eligible?
You might be able to buy if:
- Your property was built or bought by Keelman Homes after 01/04/1997 with some Government subsidy
- The property you live in is not in a rural area (for example Kibblesworth)
- You don’t live in a sheltered scheme or other housing specifically for elderly or disabled people
- You don’t have any outstanding possession orders against you because you have breached terms of your tenancy agreement
- You are not an undischarged bankrupt, nor do you have a bankruptcy petition pending
The discount is a fixed amount depending on the local authority area you live in. The maximum discount is between £9,000 and £16,000. The discount is deducted from the open market value of the property.
The discount in the Tyne & Wear area is £9,000.
Can I afford to buy my home?
- You will need to pay for solicitors’ costs and a mortgage arrangement fee
- You may need a mortgage
- You will be responsible for the cost of all repairs to the property
- You will be responsible for service charges for maintaining any communal/shared areas
- You will be responsible for paying buildings insurance
We strongly recommend you look at property prices in your area and the mortgage amount you are likely to need before applying to buy your home.
How do I apply?